You must enter a tour map code in the appropriate field when editing your tour in order for it to be displayed here
Places on this one-off departure are limited - book now. Call Newport Travel now to secure your spot on 02 9997 1277 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Enquire also about cruise cabin and air upgrades, and single or triple share rates
We are sorry, this tour is not available to book at the moment
Burmese Bliss – Clay and Culture Tour
Small-group Myanmar pottery tour hosted by ceramic artist, Dianne Turner and Chris Riou, Newport Travel
The 10-day small-group tour, with local Burmese guides, runs from the 2nd to the 11th of April 2019, returning home in Australia on the 12th of April.
Prices, inclusive of airfares, from Australia start from $6,450 per person twin share.
Step back in time on this unique, leisurely-paced river-cruise tour as we explore Burma’s ancient capitals and spiritual rural countryside. The tour is a celebration of life in Myanmar, with the focus on food and culture, and the place of pottery within it.
Discover how 2 binding constants – clay and culture – make Myanmar the enchanting country it remains today. Over 100 years ago, Rudyard Kipling wrote of Burma, “It is quite unlike any place you know about”. This is still so true today and definitely a destination to explore before modernisation and over-tourism spread their influence here.
The ancient craft of pottery has been anchored in the daily lives of the Burmese for over 2,000 years, and although plastic, metals and other modern materials are more readily available now in Myanmar, clay and ceramics are still preferred. We’ll discover the role that pottery plays in Myanmar in farming and production, spiritual rituals, home-making and cooking.
We’ll visit family-run traditional pottery villages to see the use of local techniques to produce water pots, garden pots, spiritual ornaments, toys and cooking utensils.
Food and clay go hand-in-hand and on the tour we will explore the different regional cuisines, including some hands-on home cooking sessions using fresh, regional organic produce. Myanmar’s enigmatic cuisine is one of the most complex and diverse in Southeast Asia, with influences from the bordering countries of Thailand, China, Laos and India, as well as from its European colonial heritage.
Here’s what you’ll love about this unique, small-group tour ..
- We’ll discover the natural, social and cultural influences of modern Myanmar in the 4 very different regions of Yangon, Inle Lake, Bagan & Mandalay
- Visit traditional pottery villages where entire families and communities base their livelihood on the production of pottery and ceramics
- Sample the local cuisine and fresh, regional produce at night-time street food markets, family-run restaurants and fine-dining restaurants, including high-tea at Yangon’s iconic Strand Hotel.
- Participate in a number of hands-on cooking classes and presentations in private homes, social enterprises of local communities and even with an awarded head chef aboard a 5-star river-cruise ship.
- Enjoy luxury boutique accommodation with a local flavour, including a 4-day river cruise on the sumptuous Sanctuary Ananda.
- Ultimately, experience the warmth and joy of the Burmese people who welcome us into their land and lives.
You’ll return home from this journey not only with a bagful of wonderful memories, but knowing that, on this sustainable tourism adventure, you have genuinely supported the local cultures and social enterprises that are working towards improving the lives of the local communities.
For more information or to book, contact Newport Travel on 9997 1277 or email email@example.com
People who booked this tour also booked the connecting add-on cruise – Sailing the Andaman Sea – A Star Clipper adventure from Phuket 11-20 April 2019. Includes 2 nights prior to the 7-night cruise at the all-inclusive Club Med Phuket and no single supplement for solo travellers!